GUNS N’ ROSES played the first of seven intimate small theatre/club shows and the first of three shows in New York City on Friday night, February 10 at Roseland Ballroom. According to a review by The New York Times critic Stacey Anderson, “The nearly three-hour show was laden with familiar extravagances: grandiose guitar solos, the band’s aggressively priapic stage presence, [Axl] Rose‘s multiple costume changes and pliant snake dance. Yet it was a far more streamlined production than past outings; it almost started on time, for one, with nary an onstage tantrum. Mr. Rose remained the sole original member, though the keyboardist Dizzy Reed has hung on since the early 1990s; the backing musicians suggested a giddy, faithful cover act.”
The band’s setlist was as follows:
01. Welcome To The Jungle
02. It’s So Easy
03. Mr. Brownstone
05. Rocket Queen
06. This I Love
07. Richard Fortus Guitar Solo (James Bond Theme)
08. Live and Let Die (Paul McCartney & Wings cover)
10. You Could Be Mine
12. DJ Ashba Guitar Solo (Ballad of Death)
13. Sweet Child O’ Mine
14. Instrumental Jam (Another Brick In The Wall: Part 2)
15. November Rain (with Happy Birthday to Axl Rose)
16. Bumblefoot Guitar Solo (Pink Panther Theme)
17. Whole Lotta Rosie (AC/DC cover)
18. Civil War
19. Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door (Bob Dylan cover)
21. Instrumental Jam
23. Don’t Cry
24. Motivation (Tommy Stinson song) (Tommy Stinson on lead vocals)
25. Instrumental Jam
27. Instrumental Jam
28. Paradise City
Multi-camera video footage of the concert can be seen below.
GUNS N’ ROSES will perform on Sunday at Terminal 5 and at Webster Hall on Wednesday.
In addition to sole original member Axl Rose, the current lineup of GUNS N’ ROSES includes guitarists Ron “Bumblefoot” Thal, Richard Fortus and DJ Ashba, bassist Tommy Stinson, keyboardists Dizzy Reed and Chris Pitman and drummer Frank Ferrer.
The original five-piece group, along with drummer Matt Sorum and keyboardist Dizzy Reed, will be inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in Cleveland on April 14.