METALLICA‘s Lars Ulrich, KREATOR‘s Mille Petrozza, IN FLAMES and VOLBEAT are among the artists who were honored at the German edition of the Metal Hammer Awards Friday night (September 9) at Kesselhaus in Berlin.
For the first time, the German Metal Hammer Awards took place as a full-fledged party after being hosted at Wacken Open Air‘s main stage for two years. The ceremony was hosted by Vito and Hannes of German comedy metallers J.B.O. and included performances by DIE APOKALYPTISCHEN REITER, CALIBAN, PRIMAL FEAR and AUDREY HORNE.
Metal Hammer Awards 2011 winners:
* Best Album: “Surtur Rising” by AMON AMARTH
* Best Debut: “Kvelertak” by KVELERTAK
* Best German Band: HEAVEN SHALL BURN
* Best International Band: VOLBEAT
* Best Live Act: IN FLAMES
* God Of Riffs: Mille Petrozza (KREATOR)
* Legend: Lars Ulrich (METALLICA)
* Maximum Metal: Adam “Nergal” Darski (BEHEMOTH)
* Metal Anthem: “Teutonic Terror” by ACCEPT
* Up-And-Coming Band: AUDREY HORNE
Lars Ulrich and VOLBEAT were unable to attend the event in person but sent in videotaped acceptance speeches, which can be seen below.